adventures of a scope


i finally got an oestrogastroduodenoscopy (OGD) done by my kind senior consultant gastroenterologist Dr D. it was my second time doing it, but it was oh-so-different this round.

even though my barium meal follow through was normal with the first gastroenterologist, Dr D wanted to be thorough and see for himself if anything was wrong. he wanted to biopsy for helicobactor pylori too. so i agreed. the plan with my rheumy to stop my DMARDs and NSAIDs isn’t something i like so i wanted to get clearance.

i knew i’d be sedated with midazalom (Dormicum) and will be given some fentanyl. but when Dr D came in, he said that i’m going to be sedated, but i’m probably going to be awake to some extent. hmm… ok… so in went fentanyl 100mcg, which was nothing. then Dormicum 1mg. i felt something, but i was still wide awake. “push another 1.5mg” said Dr D. i felt it too, but still, my mind fought against. i chuckled as i was gagged with the mouthpiece in my mouth. “push 1mg” he said, still nothing. and finally, “push the last 1.5mg” because 5mg of Dormicum is the maximum dose. alas, i was still wide awake.

they proceeded with the scope anyway, while i was wide awake. boy was it uncomfortable, with the scope shove down your throat into your stomach. i wanted to gag, but they had numbed my throat with lignocaine. as the scope went down, i wanted to retch but all that came out was air.  heard them saying “there’s a polyp!”. i saw him doing 2 biopsies. one for H. pylori, the other for the polyp. the usual 10 minutes stretched to 30 minutes. it was painful, to say the least.

i was so awake that when they pushed me out, i nagged at Dr D to cover me with leave from work. it was rather hilarious.

i was put in the recovery area. the protocol was that post-OGD, patients had to rest for at least an hour. but about 30 minutes later, i told them i was ready to go. the staff nurse there asked if anyone’s here with me. of course not! so she asked me why not. i explained to her that i didn’t need one, that i knew the after effects, and that i’m a staff nurse myself.

she went “you’re a staff nurse yet you didn’t want to bring someone?”

i refuted by saying “i’m a staff nurse that’s why i don’t want to bring someone!”

it was all in all quite a funny event. so now i await the biopsy result for my polyp. i am urease negative, which makes me H.pylori negative.

Dr D has given the green light for DMARDs and NSAIDs. i hope rheumy will allow me to back on them. however, he said NO to tramadol, gabapentin and now escitalopram. sigh. what do i do.

the problem of gastroparesis is still here. the cause is still not established. it’s still not being treated. dangling in mid-air again.



3 thoughts on “adventures of a scope

  1. I’m sorry you have gastroparesis, so do I. It’s a terrible disease. I just had my 2nd feeding tube implanted into my abdomen last Friday, spent 4 nights in the hospital and came home Tuesday afternoon. Sigh……………. I sure hope you never get to the point of needing a feeding tube. Can’t even imagine having that scope down my throat and into my stomach and being wide awake. I’ve had that done several times, but my doctor gives me Propofol (? spelling) and that does the trick, out cold. Have you had the gastric emptying test? I have idiopathic gastroparesis, no clue as to why I have it, but I have it bad. I’m, also, a nurse. I’m glad I found your blog, as there aren’t too many blogs about gastroparesis. I wish you the best on your journey. I hope you can one day feel “better.” Take care. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s